Frequently Asked Questions
CaseBuilder Crime Gun is a gun crime tracking and analysis case management tool useful for law enforcement personnel who are involved in gun crime investigations. The cloud-based system enables agencies to better capture, track, analyze and collaborate on incidents that involve firearms so they can be more efficient and effective. CaseBuilder Crime Gun creates a single, secure digital folder for each shooting or firearm-related incident, providing an intelligence dossier on everything related to a particular firearm and allowing an agency to track the life cycle of a gun using CGIC best practices.
- Build stronger cases by identifying underlying relationships with link analysis
- Prioritize and track NIBIN leads to solve gun-related crimes
- Strengthen collaboration among the investigative team and crime gun analysists
- Report on needed statistics to grant providers (e.g. BJA)
- Generate feedback for all involved parties (patrol, investigators, analysts, etc.), providing greater transparency across the agency
The system centers around 5 key components:
- Gun Incidents – including collecting basic ground truth information for shooting, evidence tracking of firearms or ballistics
- NIBIN Import – scans an IBIS NIBIN Lead report and associates the information back to the Crime Gun case folder including associated prior incidents
- Operational Insight – shares gun crime trends and statistics with key stakeholders and allows for generation of monthly reporting to help in fulfilling BJA requirements
- Link Analysis – visually sees how this gun crime incident relates to other cases and the people, vehicles, and locations associated with them
- ShotSpotterTM Integration – allows for quick Crime Gun case creation from a Respond alert
No. Although there is a tight integration between the two products, CaseBuilder Crime Gun can be utilized as a stand-alone system for any agency that is interested in tracking gun crime and firearms in their jurisdiction and creating associations of incidents from the same gun.
The system includes a robust suite of reports:
- Dashboard reports quickly inform users through display of graphs, charts, and pin maps.
- Operational reports provide detailed lists of incidents and events and allow the user to drill into the details.
- Report widgets can be easily added to the interface to provide snippets of information and keep key indicators front and center.
- Link analysis shows how various Crime Gun cases, ballistics leads, firearms, suspects and incidents are related either within the same agency or to outside agencies.
There is a tiered annual subscription fee based on the size of the agency that includes 24x7x365 customer support and best practices consulting assistance. There is also a one-time set up fee that includes provisioning the account, agency data integrations if needed, and training.
Yes. CaseBuilder Crime Gun is built upon the powerful ShotSpotter Investigate case management engine. As a customer you can convert your CaseBuilder Crime Gun license into a full Investigate license at any time.
ShotSpotter takes security and compliance very seriously and the ShotSpotter CaseBuilder Crime Gun product adheres to the following best practices:
- Runs on AWS GovCloud, which is CJIS, FedRAMP, ISO 27001, SOC2, SOC3, and DoD SRG certified
- Multi-factor authorization (MFA) is mandated for all users
- Compliant with 28 CFR Part 23
CaseBuilder Crime Gun has robust proactive alerting and automated notification features.
- Each user has a system inbox to send and receive messages and alerts.
- The system can also alert users via text and email about new assignments and pending or overdue action items.
- Supervisors can perform case reviews and automatically trigger notifications about case status and any new tasks.
- The system automatically notifies the investigative team when leads are added to a case.
The deployment process can be completed with just a few steps. A ShotSpotter representative will set up your agency’s account in our secure cloud environment and then work with your system administrator to complete the initial configuration to meet your requirements. The system can be up and running for end users to begin casework the same day. Following initial configuration, your agency administrator and any secondary admins you appoint will have full capability to manage the highly configurable system and support your end users. Meanwhile, ShotSpotter’s support team remains ready to assist whenever needed.
- ShotSpotter®, an innovative gunshot detection technology that enables law enforcement to proactively address gun violence and arrive at a scene within minutes, saving lives and building community trust in the process.
- CrimeTracer™, the #1 law enforcement search engine that enables investigators to search through more than 1.3B structured and unstructured data across jurisdictions to obtain immediate tactical leads, leverage advanced link analysis to make intelligent connections, link NIBIN leads to reports, suspects, and other entities, and more.
- CaseBuilder™, a smarter investigation management platform that enables investigative teams to efficiently organize and store case information, track and prioritize assignments, optimize resources, submit materials to prosecution, and more.
- ResourceRouter™, a resource management tool that automates the planning of directed patrols and provides transparency around engagement activities.